Did I really meet one?
I was about eight when this event happened. We have daily morning devotions in my house where the whole family sits arounds and studies the Bible with my dad. One particualr topic that made a deep impression on me was angels. During that particular Bible study my dad said angels could be everywhere as Abraham had met one and didn't even know. My cousin deepened the impact of this statement by relating the story of how a beggar boy had asked her for money and she had said that she didn't have any money on her and she herself was looking for money. The boy then dropped N50 (which was quite a lot in those days) in her lap and disappeared. She tried to find him to return his money but her search was evidently unseuccessful because she kept the money. She wondered if the boy was an angel I was sure of it and I decided to find my own angel not because of N50 or anything but just because I wanted to find one.
For the following weeks everywhere I went there was a potential angel waiting to be found. For a while I even thought the driver was an angel but then I saw or rather heard him blowing his nose rather too loudly one day. 'Too human' I thought.
Finally at a church meeting which was held at a hotel I went to buy a soft drink in the bar. I remember clearly that it was Seven Up. Also I remember the exhorbitant fee of N70 when the price was usually N25. I walked out sipping my drink and feeling cool when a taxi pulled up and a white man got out of the car. He was carrying a squash bag and he was sweating so he must just have played a game. White people were a bit of a rarity in Nigeria so I stopped to stare. I was about to turn and go when the man stopped me and said 'I'm very hot. Please can I have a sip of your drink.' I held my drink out to him and said smugly in my mind 'I'm entertaining an angel.'
I would have given him the whole bottle but you must remember that it was N70 instead of N25 so I pulled back my bottle after he had taken a long sip. 'Thank-you' he said and walked into the inn. I walked back sipping on the same end that an angel had sipped on.
When I told my father rather than being pleased with me he was extremely annoyed.
My dad : Don't you know that you shouldn't talke to strangers.
Me: But you said we can meet angels anywhere.
My dad: Why didn't you give him the whole drink at least so you will not get his germs.
Me: Angels don't have germs.
My dad: Keep quiet.
After that I stopped looking for angels and decided to either give the whole drink to strange thirsty people or not give them at all.

1 Comments:
like seriously, ur stories are just one of a kind
Post a Comment
<< Home